Southwest Garden Neighborhood Association (SWGNA) is the resident-based volunteer neighborhood association that works for neighborhood improvement. Part of SWGNA also operates as a neighborhood-based community development agency. Using Community Development Block Grant funding, SWGNA’s community development component contracts with the City to achieve five objectives:
- Administer a neighborhood housing resource center by helping households apply for targeted assistance.
- Market area rental property and housing development.
- Coordinate beautification of neighborhood corridors, gateways and community gardens.
- Coordinate block unit organizational meetings and communicate with area public safety officials to abate nuisance properties and criminal activity.
- Assist the Southwest Neighborhood Housing Corporation with housing development.
The association holds four quarterly general membership meetings the fourth Monday of January, April, July and October. The 2017 meeting schedule is:
|January 23||7:00 PM||St. Louis Activity Center, 5602 Arsenal|
|April 24||7:00 PM||St. Louis Activity Center, 5602 Arsenal|
|July 24||7:00 PM||St. Louis Activity Center, 5602 Arsenal|
|TBA||October Annual Membership drive||TBA|
The doors open at 6:30 PM and the meetings start promptly at 7 PM. You need not be a member to attend, though membership starts at the low price of $6 a year ($10 for Single, $20 for Family, $25 for Business, $6 for Individual 65 and over). Please attend and bring a neighbor or friend as a lot of valuable information is exchanged about the neighborhood and the city. Meeting times and locations will be verified on this website as the date approaches. Major annual activities sponsored by the association:
- Operation Brightside Blitz, Saturdays in March and April
- Home Improvement and Garden Tour, Last Sunday before or first Sunday after Memorial Day weekend
- National Night Out, 1st Tuesday in August
- Fall Planting Projects, 2nd and 3rd weekends in October
- Third District Police Picnic, mid-to late October
The Communicator is SWGNA’s quarterly newsletter distributed to all neighborhood residents. Residents interested in joining the association may contact our office at (314) 772-6082. Click here for the latest edition of the Communicator. SWGNA Board of Directors The Board of Directors meets monthly to discuss issues concerning neighborhood improvements. Board meetings start at 6:30 PM at the SWGNA office located at 4950 Southwest Avenue, just west of South Kingshighway. Meetings are held monthly on the first Monday of every month, except August.
|Office (Term Expiration)||Name|
|President (4/2017)||Chuck Fuhry|
|1st Vice President (4/2018)||Jana Scharnhorst|
|2nd Vice President (4/2017)||Floyd Wright|
|3rd Vice President (4/2018)||Elizabeth McNulty|
|Recording Secretary (4/2017)||Allen E. Jackson|
|Corresponding Secretary (4/2017)||Nancy Hightshoe|
|Treasurer (4/2017)||Barbara Beck|
|Member-At-Large (4/2018)||S. J. Pagano|
|Member-At-Large (4/2017)||Amy Choy|
|Executive Director||Kristina Jackson|